Keep your skin glowing and radiant with the right skincare regimen this season. Winter’s harsher weather means you need to take extra steps to keep skin moisturized and it might even be time to change the products you use on a daily basis. Skimping on moisturizer and drinking too many caffeinated or alcoholic beverages this season can spell disaster for your skin. Fortunately there are several ways to keep skin looking healthy and resilient throughout the colder months.
Here are five skincare mistakes to steer clear of this winter:
1. Washing your face in the shower. Warm and hot showers can be very soothing during the winter months but will wreak havoc on your skin. Avoid cleansing your face while you’re in the shower – no matter how convenient it can be – so that you can wash and rinse with lukewarm water in the sink instead. Hot water can zap your skin of moisture and leave it parched.
2. Exfoliating with a harsh scrub. It’s a good idea to exfoliate skin with a moisture-infusing scrub plus derma roller amazon at least once per week but too much exfoliating can damage your skin and make it vulnerable to drying out and breakouts.
3. Using a soap-based facial cleanser. Soap-based cleansers can do a great job of breaking down makeup and refreshing the pores, but these cleansers can also be very drying. Stick with cream-based cleansers that not only deep-clean the pores but also infuse the skin with moisture. Your skin will stay clean, clear and super soft, and the cleanser will also be less harsh on your skin.
4. Applying foundation to dry skin. Whether you’re a fan of liquid makeup or powder makeup, make sure you’re applying cover up to soft, moisturized skin. Even if you’re using a primer to create a smooth surface, you need to keep your skin in good condition. Take the time to apply a layer of moisturizer and sunscreen, then wait until it settles in the pores before applying makeup. Your skin will look and feel better as a result, and you’ll also be protecting your skin from potential sun damage.
5. Doing an at-home chemical peel without a follow-up skincare plan. Chemical peels can be a great way to get rid of the dead layer of skin cells on the top of your skin and keep skin looking smooth this season. If you decide to do a chemical peel at home, just make sure you’re taking the right steps to follow up with a good moisturizer day and night. Avoid all types of acne products and skincare products that contain glycolic acid. Your skin will be very sensitive from the peel so harsher products can dry out your skin and cause some damage.
More content from this contributor:
Six Easy Ways to Stay Healthy this Winter
How to Decrease Hair Breakage
Buff and Polish Skin for the Season with a Body Scrub Treatment